Friday, July 4, 2008

Ooh, Aaw and Ashes...

Okay, I finally have something that I want to share. I have had this blog for quite some time now but have never posted anything to it because I am not as clever as some other blog writers (you know who you are Kristi Bassett!), but I have finally decided that now is the time -- it is time to write.

The other day I decided I needed to hone my photography skills so I took Ashley out in the garden and we took some pictures (see the slide show). I kept the ones I really liked and even threw in a few of my (and her) flower pictures -- since Ash is part of MY "old-fashioned garden" Press Here.


Then last night, we had the delightful opportunity to attend the Fourth of July celebration up at the church. I know, it was really the Third of July but for some funky reason the city always does it on the third. So about 8:30 at night / evening we all headed up to the church because, after all, it is tradition. The streets are filled with people from every nation, kindred, tongue and people and quite a few of them land on our church parking lot / lawn. I figure it is good PR work for the church although we don't really do anything more than just water and mow our lawn.

Then let the show begin. For being a town of roughly 50,000 people (servicing around 100,000 if you count the reservation from nearby Navajo lands) the city puts on a FANTASTIC show -- rivaling any I have seen anywhere else -- including Disneyland. Here are a few shots from last night in my slideshow. The funnest part though, other than just sitting and gabbing with friends (who we consider to be our family here in Farmington) was listening to these two little kids who were sitting about 10 feet behind us. As EVERY firework would go off, they would ooh and aww like it was the only firework that had gone off or would go off. They were so excited. They were truly capturing the spirit of the entire evening and as I looked around at my family (even my big boys were there with us) I couldn't help but think, "ooh, aww" as I watched them interact with their friends and each other (the boys even let Chelsea come with them later to shoot off fireworks). It was truly a magical night.



You'll notice some pics at the end of the show of some hot air balloons. Kent got up at 0-dark-hundred and went out to Bloomfield to see the first balloon festival they have held. It definitely wasn't as big as the one I saw in Provo, nor even as big as the ones in Farmington on Memorial Day, but for a first time I thought it was a pretty good showing.

All pictures are posted on my Picasa web album page.
Fourth of July farmington 2008

No comments: